The leading first aid, CPR, food safe, safety and re-certification course provider in Victoria B.C. is St Mark James Training. Training locations are conveniently located and registration can be completed on-line, via telephone or email. Certification programs with us cover different topics, mainly focused on CPR and first aid. There are special classes on food handling and safety as well. These are offered all throughout the week, with very flexible schedules. The training fees for all our programs are also the cheapest in the city without compromising the quality of training,
Getting training in CPR
Cardiopulmonary resuscitation training is the most popular healthcare certification program taken by trainees. There are several CPR courses available for enrolment, each curriculum different based on who and what the program is tailored for. All of the classes use the Basic Life Support guidelines from the American Heart Association (released in 2010) to teach trainees how to respond when a victims falls unconscious or becomes unresponsive due to cardiac arrest.
Cardiopulmonary resuscitation involves the use of adequate chest compressions and rescue breaths in order to keep the heart pumping oxygenated blood to the rest of the body. Defibrillators (AEDs) are also used during CPR to stabilize the heart rhythm. These three basics can be found in all the CPR training classes.
- Standard First Aid and CPR – 14-16 hrs, 2 days; teaches 1-person rescue and basic first aid; re-certification 6-8 hours
- Emergency First Aid and CPR – 6.5-8 hrs, 1 day; teaches 1-person rescue and basic first aid; re-certification 4-6 hours
- Standard Child Care First Aid and CPR – 16-20 hours, 2 days; teaches 1-person rescue of pediatric victims and basic first aid; re-certification 8-9 hours
- Emergency Child Care First Aid and CPR – 8 hours, 1 day; teaches 1-person rescue of pediatric victims and basic first aid; re-certification 6-8 hours
There are three stand-alone CPR classes that do not include first aid training: A, C, and HCP. These programs run for 4, 5, and 6 hours long respectively. The first two are tailored for the general public while the last is for healthcare providers.
Certification received from a CPR program expires after three years. Students can only quality for re-certification programs if they sign up while their credentials are still valid. Expired certificates are not honored for re-certification; rescues will have to retake the entire training program for a new certificate.
The importance of safety
With accidents happening left and right, especially in high-risk workplaces, a lot of trainees have been signing up for safety and awareness programs at St. Mark James Training Victoria. Safety and awareness programs are focused on preparation and management of potential hazards, whether in the home or workplace. Most of these programs are online, with a select few offered in house in the training center. Certification from online programs do not expire.
- Hydrogen sulfide awareness (in-house and online) – Certification is renewed every three years.
- Food safety/handling (in-house) – Certification has to be updated every 5 years (no expiry).
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (online)
- Transport of Dangerous Goods (online)
- Fire hazards (online)