Symptoms such as runny nose, nasal congestion, skin rashes, asthma and diarrhea that are usually experienced after an individual drinks pineapple juice indicate an allergic reaction. It is important to note that pineapples along with other tropical fruits are known to trigger food allergies. The individual must avoid products that contain pineapple until a doctor is diagnosed. Ingestion of any amount of pineapple can instigate allergy symptoms that can lead to further complications if not properly managed right away. By enrolling in a class on first aid in your area, you are prepared to manage an allergic reaction once it occurs.
Allergy to pineapple
It is still unclear why the immune system wrongly identifies certain proteins as a threat to the body, but if it malfunctions when pineapple or products that contain the fruit is eaten, the individual will experience an allergic reaction.
Pineapple juice is comprised of proteins that can initiate the overreaction of the immune system. The immune system will try to fight these proteins by generating immunoglobulin E antibodies into the bloodstream. Take note that these antibodies will trigger a chain reaction that leads to the production of chemicals which starts the manifestation of the allergy symptoms.
What are the symptoms?
When it comes to an allergic reaction to pineapple juice, it will trigger various symptoms all over the body. The digestive system will react with stomach pain, diarrhea as well as nausea, cramping and vomiting. As for the respiratory system, it involves swelling in the sinuses and lungs which results to the asthma symptoms. The symptoms include wheezing, difficulty breathing, coughing as well as shortness of breath, chest tightness, sinus headaches, sinus congestion and facial tenderness. Lastly, the skin reactions that manifest after consuming pineapple typically include itchiness, redness and inflammation.
What is allergic contact dermatitis?
The usual skin reaction to tropical and citrus fruits is allergic contact dermatitis. The rash develops once the skin comes in direct contact with pineapple juice. The reaction is localized to the area exposed and can cause the formation of blisters, redness and severe itchiness. You can manage this reaction by cleansing the affected skin using water and soap and apply hydrocortisone cream. In case the rash persists or gets worse, a doctor must be consulted so that proper treatment can be started.
Even though uncommon, a food-related allergy can progress into a severe allergic reaction known as anaphylaxis. This reaction occurs once the whole body develops an allergy which results to life-threatening symptoms within seconds of ingesting pineapple or products that contain pineapple. The usual signs and symptoms include lightheadedness, severe abdominal pain, drop in the blood pressure and elevated yet faint heart rate. You have to call for emergency assistance right away if any of these symptoms are present for proper treatment.