Watery stool or commonly called as diarrhea is considered as a common problem that most individuals experience at some point in their lives. The cause for watery diarrhea tends to vary from one individual to another but the common causes include infections, presence of parasites, imbalance in the digestive tract bacteria as well as drastic changes in the diet especially if the individual consumes large amounts of food that are rich in water content and fiber. In most cases, diarrhea will run its full course and the body heals itself naturally, but you can hasten the process by being familiar with the steps in order to restore the health of the individual to normal. The management of watery diarrhea is simple but you can enroll in a first aid class for comprehensive training.
Steps in managing watery diarrhea
- Encourage the individual to drink plenty of fluids including fruit juices and water. Always bear in mind that watery diarrhea can cause the body to eliminate bodily fluids and water at a fast rate which can lead to dehydration if the individual is not careful. Take note that this is a risk especially to young children. Always encourage consuming plenty of fluids until diarrhea subsides.
- Instruct the individual to eat foods that contain low amounts of fiber in order to provide adequate nutrients to the body while at the same time stabilizing the digestive system. Foods that are high in fiber can cause problems to the system by forcing the flushing of foods. It is important that only low-fiber foods should be eaten such as noodles, crackers, chicken and rice.
- You can provide the individual with over-the-counter medications that are used in regulating the digestive system as well as fighting the diarrhea. There are a number of these medications available that can help stabilize the functioning of the intestinal tract.
- Provide the individual with a probiotic supplement on a daily basis in order to restore the ideal balance of bacteria in the digestive system. Diarrhea typically develops due to an unhealthy level of beneficial bacteria in the digestive system. You can easily purchase probiotic supplements in groceries that must be taken by the individual periodically in order to maintain a healthy level of bacteria in the system. Always remember that these supplements are usually present in capsule or powder form.
- The doctor can also provide a prescription for medications that can be taken by the individual to alleviate watery diarrhea. In most cases, these medications will take some time to be fully taken in by the body, but most will effectively correct the diarrhea.
By taking into consideration the proper steps in managing watery diarrhea, it can help shorten the duration of the condition as well as restoring the normal digestive function. Taking action early can also help prevent complications from occurring particularly dehydration.